Team Memebers

Get OutSide, Go fish

Seriously, get yourself outside. Take your kids. Take your family. Just go. Get out. Do something, but don't sit inside. Go hiking, fishing, boating.....Take a camera......most important, HAVE FUN!!!

The Problem With Doing Nothing Is You Can't Tell When Your Done.

Saturday, April 3, 2010

Gear Review

Well, I said I had some new gear I was planning on using on my hiking/fishing trip into the North Georgia Blue Ridge Mountains. This was by far the most comfortable trip I have ever taken into any back country trip and there have been many trips. I was geared out for this trip, and it made it one of the most enjoyable trips I have been on because of all the right gear.

Wading Boots

I had a hard time making up my mind with the style of wading boots I wanted to pair up with my new waders. Their are so many choices out there, and with so many choices comes with with bit of some confusion.

I knew I wanted a pair of boots that would last, so I set out looking for a pair made from synthetic materials. All leather boots don't last that long. I also did not want felt soles boots for two reasons, 1) felt soles harbor invasive species that can easily be transported from one body of water to the next, possibly contaminating a watershed. 2) I do a lot of hiking on these rivers I end up fishing. I do not want to have to always be replacing my felt on the boots. Plus I wanted comfort while walking all day, I can hike upwards of 10 or more miles in a days fishing trip. So I did not want any felt soles.

After looking at my options, I decided I wanted to get what I was looking for at or about the 100 dollar range.....So off to Bass pro shops it was. We hit the shop in Cincinnati, which could have been a disaster because I can never get outta that place without spending 300 bucks. So I was focused this time. Ya, right.

This is what I found:

White River Fly Shop® ECO-CLEAR™ Wading Boots for Men

And here is what it says about them on there website.

" Around the world, fish-bearing streams are being compromised by invasive species introduced into new environments via boots and waders. That’s why we created ECO-CLEAR™ soles. Their unique construction—crushed walnut shells and a dynamic rubber compound—helps keep unwanted organisms from latching onto your gear, so you can fish any stream with an ECO-CLEAR conscience!

White River Fly Shop® ECO-CLEAR™ Wading Boots for Men are equipped with eco-friendly ECO-CLEAR soles for stream protection and slip-resistant traction. Color: Green/Brown. Imported."

* Features: Tough polyurethane upper with nylon inserts
* Reinforced toe and heel
* Lightweight EVA midsole
* Removable insole
* Pull tabs
* Drain holes



I am gonna say these boots are as good as they say, and they performed better than I had hoped. I was able to hike all day, and I mean, all day, in complete comfort. While in the water I was able to fish and not worry abot much slipping because I was amazed at how these boots gripped bottom. Really, just a sweet pair of boots and kept me from slipping and sliding all over they river. I was never, upset with this purchase. a recommended buy to anyone looking for a good pair of boots. They list for 89 bucks, got mine on sale for $69.99 plus tax. Sweet deal.

And here is the best part, that day at Bass Pro, I got outta there and kept mine spending in check and kept it below the 300 dollar mark. I was so happy, but I still bought a bunch of crap I probably did not need. But it was fun anyway.

Waders

To go along with those sweet new boots I purchased I need to get a new pair of waders. In the past I always have used(since I was 16)the chest high rubber/3 ply construction type waders. Which are really durable, but really heavy, and not really comfy at all. Plus the boot foot kind slip all over the darn place, miking wading streams a bit of a challenge and at time dangerous.

So I wanted a pair that was light weight,and durable, since I am always going thru the woods and bushes, sometimes sliding down the banks of rivers, trying to get to those perfect spots. I also wanted them to be breathable, because I hated how my older waders would keep all that moisture from sweat in. At the end of some of these long days I would be drenched in sweat. So I found a pair of waist high waders, pants, that I thought would be perfect. Here is what I ended up buying from Dick's Sporting Goods.

Caddis Deluxe Waist-High Breathable Waders-Men's (Taupe 2-Tone)

Product Summary
Manufacturer: Caddis
Mfg Part#: CA12909W-S
Size: Small
Buy.com Sku: 203882977
UPC: 00879730000556


The Caddis Deluxe breathable waist-high waders for men utilize CaddisDry(tm) Breathable Technology to give you a heavy-duty polyester fabric that prevents abrasion leaks, yet affords complete breathability for your fishing comfort. Reinforced knees and seat provide an extra layer where you need it and attached gravel guards with lace hooks keep gravel out of your boots.

Features

* Model Number: CA129
* 100% waterproof and breathable construction with CaddisDry(tm) fabric technology
* Durable polyester outer shell
* Double-layer knees
* Stitched and taped seams for added strength
* Generous cut for expanded range of movement for easy on/off
* Comfortable and warm neoprene booties
* Attached gravel guards with lace hooks

These by far are one of if not the best investment I have ever made in terms of creature comfort. These so far have been top notch. I took these back into the Blue Ridge Mountains to hit the trout and I hiked, climbed, fished, fell, slipped down banks, and they performed top notch. All I wore under them were a pair of long johns and I was more than comfy. Best of all, no leaks. I stayed dry, and sweat was not an issue, because they are breathable. These things were awesome. I would also like to ad how it was just like wearing a pair of thin pants, I could move around and do what I wanted and was never unhappy.....Really Sweet.

No comments:

Post a Comment